Greenville Premises Liability Lawyer

A visitor may sustain many injuries on private or public property. For example, you may fall from a slippery substance on a grocery store floor, be mugged in the parking lot of a mall, or trip and fall on a carpet that is torn or bunched up.  

When you or your loved one has been injured on another’s property, you should contact a Greenville premises liability lawyer. Whether the property is owned by an individual or a business, an experienced personal injury attorney could help you pursue compensation when you have sustained injuries or damages.

What Is Premises Liability?

A property owner must maintain reasonably safe premises. When someone is injured due to a dangerous condition on the property, the hurt party may be eligible to recover compensation for damages under the legal argument of premises liability. A Greenville premises liability attorney could investigate the circumstances surrounding an injury and identify the negligent property owner. 

Legal Responsibilities of a Property Owner

State premises liability law requires a property owner to keep the area safe for visitors. Specifically, a property owner must:

  • Maintain and inspect the property regularly 
  • Fix or otherwise address any potential hazards
  • Provide sufficient security, such as lighting and surveillance systems 
  • Warn a visitor of any known hazards that cannot be fixed immediately

When the property owner fails to fulfill these duties, they may be liable for injuries caused to a visitor. The extent of the property owner’s responsibility for a visitor’s injuries is determined by the type of visitor they are. Not every visitor is automatically eligible to collect damages under premises liability law.

Types of Visitors

Premise law classifies three different types of visitors. 


An invitee enters the property with the owner’s permission for the mutual benefit of the invitee and owner. An invitee is owed the highest level of care, including an owner’s regular inspection and maintenance of the property. One example of an invitee is someone shopping at a supermarket who slips on a freshly mopped floor and breaks their wrist. They might have grounds to file suit against the store for failing to warn them about the slippery floor.


A licensee also enters a property with the owner’s permission but for the licensee’s own benefit. This could include a social guest who is bitten by the host’s dog while attending a dinner party. These owners do not have to regularly inspect the property for hazards, but still must address and warn the licensee of any known risks.


A trespasser enters without the owner’s consent. The owner does not owe the trespasser any duty of care other than not to cause any intentional harm. However, if the trespasser is a child, the owner might be responsible if the child experiences an injury on an attractive nuisance on the premises, such as an unfenced swimming pool. 

The level of care that an owner owes to a visitor depends on the visitor’s classification and will directly affect the damages the injured party may recover. A Greenville attorney experienced in premises lability claims could help determine the injured party’s classification and ensure any claim is filed within three years from the date of the accident, as outlined in South Carolina Code § 15-3-530

Recoverable Damages for Injured Visitors

Losses that occur in an accident on another’s property are called damages and can be economic or non-economic in nature. Economic damages include any costs sustained, such as medical expenses or lost wages. Submitting medical bills and pay stubs can prove these damages. Non-economic damages include more subjective losses, such as emotional distress arising following the trauma of the accident or serious injury. Although these damages are more difficult to prove, a qualified premises liability lawyer could assist. 

Call a Premises Liability Attorney in Greenville to Discuss Your Case

When you or a family member are injured on public or private property, try to take photos of the hazardous area that led to your injury. Inform the property owner of the incident and seek medical treatment. 

Then, contact a Greenville premises liability lawyer who could evaluate your case and help you navigate the process of filing a claim and receiving compensation for your injuries.